Sunday, September 26, 2010

broccoli celeriac carrot cheddar soup with sourdough

celeriac root

Yummy!

So, I've seen celeriac before. From a distance. It's certainly ugly, and I classified it as a root vegetable anyways, and we don't usually get along. But turns out, celeriac is awesome. Texturally like a potato, but tasting like celery, and actually quite pleasant to eat raw. I did boil it for a few minutes in acidulated water on the advice of a couple of random websites, to reduce the "bite", but I'm not really sure why, now. It was mild and fine. Moreover, it filled in for mass like the potato in most forms of this soup, *and* the celery that I never have around.

yay colors

melty cheese

I finally made some proper sourdough, today, from Shoggoth the Starter. I went overboard with the steam, however, leading to a crust a good bit harder than I'd have liked. And it didn't rise in the oven nearly as much as I want, leading to a wide, flat loaf that's longer than my bread knife. Between the hard crust and the width, it takes multiple cuts to make a slice, which leads to jagged ends. :/

sourdough

But it all comes together nicely:

yummy

This is perhaps the best soup I've made. I doubt there will be any left over for freezing, which is both good and bad. :)

Update: the recipe:

1 red onion, roughly chopped, very lightly caramelized
3 good sized cloves garlic, minced
2 large stalks broccoli, florets roughly divided, stalks peeled and sliced
1 celeriac root, peeled, half-inch cubes, boiled for 5 minutes in
acidulated water (juice of 1 lemon)
5 medium carrots, peeled and grated
1L chicken stock, plus a bit of water to cover veg
salt, pepper, tarragon

Simmer for ~15 minutes; you just want to get the broccoli tender.

Immersion blend.

Heat, but do not boil.

Add ~2 cups grated sharp cheddar, a handful at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment